The businesses in Westminster make our city special. Establishing your business in Westminster means you become part of our hometown community AND make an impact on the residents.
Build Your Business
Tools for Business Owners
The City of Westminster has the following tools in place to help business owners thrive and continue serving the people of our city.
Food and Beverage Tax
By law, the City of Westminster collects food and beverage taxes that are assessed on the scale of certain products within the city. The taxes collected can only be used for funding tourism-related or recreation-related projects. The City Council assumes the responsibility of ensuring these funds are spent in accordance with the State Law.
For any questions about the Food and Beverage Tax or Fund Grant, contact our Administrative team.
Next Steps For Your Business
Your Business License
The City Code of Ordinances requires all businesses inside the City of Westminster to have a business license. You’ll need to complete the form and submit it to our Business License Clerk. Transient Merchants and Peddlers are required to submit an additional application.
Keeping Your License Up to Date
Business license fees are assessed against the gross receipts during a calendar year. Each year, the application is sent out to all licensed businesses. Business owners must file gross receipt figures, take certain deductions allowed, and figure the fee owed.
- Rates double for businesses without a physical location within the city limits of Westminster
- Business licenses expire on April 30. A 5% penalty accrues as of May 2 and each month thereafter.
- Payments can be made by cash, card, personal check, or money order.
- All financial information supplied to the city is confidential and cannot be given to anyone other than the business owner or an authorized agent.
- Contact the Business License Clerk for assistance in calculating your balance.
- Before renewal, all businesses must complete the Commercial Inspection form.
Calculating Your Rate
|Rate Class||Income $0-2000
|Income Over $2000
Rate per $1000 or fraction thereof
Class 8 rates vary, so please contact us for the correct rate.